Monday, May 2, 2011

4th Attempt at making a base

4th Attempt at making a base

I was looking at this stack of blank DVD discs that had to be discarded because they were already damaged during the burn process and I hit upon the idea to make another base to be used by a still undetermined model kit in my display case.

After rummaging through my stuff I found a broken off piece from an old PC case and a large capacitor from I don't know where that I think would go well with the base I was planning to make. I was also thinking of using one of those MSG parts from Kotobukiya to add detail to the capacitor. Did some mock-ups below.

4th Attempt at making a base

Still trying to figure out however whether I would put the capacity right-side up or the other way around. After the mock-ups I decided to use some old runners from the 1/100 Over Flag that I built last year to do two things, one is to add detail to the base and another is to serve as an anchor for the grout that I used in my last base build in order to stick on the old DVD

Used some two part glue to stick the runners to the old PC casing part and to the DVD disc.
4th Attempt at making a base

So far that's all I'm doing on this step of the build as I have to wait for the two part glue to dry before I can start painting it then adding the grout in order to build the terrain.

I realized that I'm the type of guy who likes building my model kits without going too far astray from the intended color scheme and design. Building a custom base for it is probably the only way I can satisfy my creative outlet without sacrificing having to be far from the actual intended design scheme.

Part II of this build can be found here.