Saturday, February 26, 2011

3rd Attempt at Making a Diorama Base

Grout


Was running low on plaster of paris and the store that sells it is half a world a way from where I'm living. Because of which I decided to look for another alternative terrain material. I chanced upon some tile grout while searching through the internet and decided to give it a shot. On the way home I picked up a 2kg pack of beige colored grout from the hardware store.

Grout

The great thing about tile grout is that there are a lot of available colors to choose from that already look like natural terrain, unlike the base white color of plaster of paris. Not sure though about its durability and whether it is light weight. It takes about 24 hours to cure however, unlike plaster of paris which can be rock hard after just an hour (even quicker if you add salt).

For the detailing, I got some left over grill parts from the first diorama attempt then I got some parts from an old PC lying around. Just sprayed on some grey primer to make the uniform color.

In hindsight, I think I should have gotten the sanded type grout because it looks more terrain like with the embedded sand.

Update: Part II continued here.