Monday, May 9, 2011

4th Attempt at making a base Part II

4th try in making a base

Trying out a modification of a technique I learned at therpf forum, wherein scratch build model builders use tape and primer to make panel lines. What they do is they overspray the primer on the surface creating a thick layer, once you remove the tape then you are left with the recessed panel lines.

4th try in making a base

What I did of course was the opposite which was to use to tape instead of styrene sheets to create surface details... come to think of it, this has no relation whatsoever to the technique I just posted above *snicker* Still I'm acknowledging that this was inspired by therpf forum and my desire to not cut up styrene sheets... hehehe The tape I used was sealing tape, its plastic and not paper. I was lousy at cutting it though as the picture shows that it isn't straight.

4th try in making a base

While mocking up the base I realized that the large capacitor wouldn't fit in the base without toppling over, so in the ended I decided to ditch it in the final build. Decided to not put on the Kotobukiya MSG parts as well as my Super Glue had dried up, drat!, should have kept it in the refrigerator.

4th try in making a base

To create the surface I used some tile grout left over from my previous base build. After applying that I'll let it harden for a day before painting over it with water based acrylics.

4th try in making a base

Previous post on this build can be found here. Next part of this build can be found here.