Friday, September 14, 2012

1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Version Build Part VII

1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

This is the last post of my build documentation of the 1/60 VF-1 No Paint kit with Option Parts by Yamato Toys and converting it to a fictionalized VF-1A of Miria Fallyna Jenius. Part VI of this build can be found here. Next part of the build focuses on the assembly of the main wings.


These plastic plates go on the wing. The manual recommends to file down the ribs found on the underside of the plate so that it can fit in perfectly at its place in the wing.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Here's the ribbed lines filed out. The manual indicates that this part has to be secured with glue.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Clear parts for the wing to recreate the lights. Had to file it down a bit so that it could fit. Glue is also recommended to be used to secure that part at the wing.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build
Arms were secured to the fuselage by means of two flat screws.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

At this point, the backpack was also secured onto the main fuselage by means of 3 flat screws at 3 different points.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Arms installed to the underside of the fuselage
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Here's a shot of the arms already tucked into its location under the fuselage.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Connecting the head to the underside of the nose of the fuselage
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Rubber tires were supposed to be installed during the rear landing gear assembly, only installed it at this late step of the build.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Installing the small wings on the legs. Was also supposed to be installed during the build of the leg, but in order to save time I proceeded to building other things while waiting for the paint on this to dry.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Base part of the small wings are secured on with glue.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Here's a shot of the small wings installed already.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Both legs fully assembled already and just waiting to be installed to the fuselage.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Installing the nose of the plane to the main fuselage. The nose part of the plane is just held on by friction. To adjust that friction is the purpose of these two flat screws. If its too loose the nose can fall of so easily, too tight and it can't go in.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Two spare flat screws in the bag were left over from the build
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

I already painted over the black parts of the canopy, but decided to install the decal instead

1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

In order to make the installation of the decal manageable, I decided to cut it down into 4 different parts.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Here's a shot of the decal already installed onto the fuselage. I sprayed on pylox clear and the canopy came out slightly frosted instead of shiny...blehhh
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

Masking the edges of the wing to paint it with its respective red & white colors. Using just Tamiya Acrylic paint to do this.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build

For the vernier detailing of the fuselage, I decided to just use the decals included with the kit instead of coloring it with a Gundam Marker Fine.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

At this point I'm going to apply a matte coat over the VF-1A, so I taped up using 3M painters tape the areas that I don't want to be coated with the matte paint. Specifically the clear parts and the silver painted parts of the intakes and backpack thrusters.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Jenius Build


1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

This next step is a supplemental build post of the Gunpod as I had already finished taking completed shots of this build when I assembled this.

Used McCormick Red Food Coloring mixed with Future Floor Wax to tint the clear parts of the gunpod and the shoulder parts. My mistake here however was that I dipped the clear parts 4 times. It came out too dark, 3 should have been enough as this was what I did when I tinted the clear parts of the head.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Putting the gunpod together. The clear parts is mounted near the tip of the barrel. I think this is the aiming camera of the gunpod. Not sure though.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Both halves of the Gunpod together already, they are supposed to be glued together.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Here's a shot of the Gunpod in its extended position.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Gunpod in its compact position for storage.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Next step was to install the "UN Spacy" decal on the Gunpod.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Comparing the UN Spacy designation, I realized that the size of the UN Spacy decal included with the VF-1A is actually larger than that of the Gunpods included with the Built up 1/60 VF-1 Macross Series of Yamato Toys.

1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

Clear Parts of the shoulder were installed at this point.
1/60 VF-1A Miria Fallyna Jenius Build

And that's it. Really had fun building this model kit and would love building one again.