Saturday, February 19, 2011

2nd try at making a Diorama Base

2nd time making a base

Gave a second try to making a base a few days back. I found these parts lying around the house and planned to use them in the base. They are an parts of a PVC pipe (an elbow and some scrap pipe) then a broken off toilet arm. Here's a link to my first attempt. As usual there is no plan nor pre-thought design when making the base, just basically winging it.

2nd time making a base

I ate some cookies a few weeks back and I kept the plastic container because I wanted to use it as a mold for part of this base. Same with the previous base attempt, I plan to use only items found around the house to make the base so that I don't have to spend as much

2nd time making a base

Added some primer to the parts I found prior to setting in the base.

2nd time making a base

Did a mock-up first of the base with the parts on it. The base is an old milk can container with a wire run through it so that the plaster of paris has something to cling on to.

2nd time making a base

I wanted to see whether it would be possible to mix colors into the plaster of paris material that I would be using for the base. So I got some water based colors ready for this experiment. Color used for this were Raw Umber and Burnt Sienna.


2nd time making a base

What I did was add a lot of water first compared to plaster so that the paint could easily be mixed. After I had the shade I wanted that's the time I added in more plaster.

2nd time making a base

I had some left over hardened plaster from the first base I made and I thought that they would make could good background pieces for the base to enchance further the detail.

2nd time making a base

Here's the unpainted base with everything already on plus the plaster and the left over plaster from the first base. Hopefully if I'm free I can use the time to paint the base.

2nd try at making a Diorama Base


Finished shots of the base can be found here.