Thursday, February 10, 2011

First try at making a Diorama Base Part II

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames.
I admit, it sucks. If it weren't for the Gundam Dynames to redirect your attention from the ugly base the uglyness would be more obvious *snicker* For a little perspective, this is what I started with and where I'm coming from.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

I used the 1/100 Gundam Dynames that I built last year to serve as the model for the base.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

To glue the grill in place I used some super glue.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

To paint the base I used 2 colors plus some primer. The colors I used where some cheap water based acrylics. Colors I used were Raw Umber and Burnt Sienna. After painting I sealed it in with a coat of Bonsy Flat Clear Lacquer spray paint.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

Lesson learned from this first try is one, I definitely have to read up on some model painting books. But then again I really had no plan of attack as to how to paint this and was just winging it.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

Next lesson learned is that I should have painted the parts first instead of individually trying to paint them once everything was assembled. I'm much more pleased with the results when I follow this formula rather than the latter described.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

One other thing I'm debating about is whether the base I'm using (an old tin can cover) is too small for diorama purposes. But then again, when I think about it. The small size would make it ideal for putting in a display case, since it won't take up much space.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames

Oh, and the Gundam Dynames is not permanently glued to the base. Its because I want the option to display it standalone incase I get tired of seeing it on this diorama base.

1st Diorama Try using 1/100 Gundam Dynames